The process of aging is a natural one but the skin’s process of aging can be significantly reduced with the proper prevention methods and relevant natural skin care techniques.
The major factor in our skin prematurely aging can be attributed to the sun. The sun damage you might see on your face today could have started over thirty years ago. When it comes to sun damage prevention is much better than cure.
Ways to prevent sun damage occurring are:
- Wear a high protection factor sunscreen every day on the face, neck and décolletage
- Wear a hat whenever you venture outside; even to hang out the washing
- Wear make-up that contains sunscreen
- Try to remain in the shade when possible
We hear a lot about “free radicals” these days. Free radicals are unstable molecules produced from sources like air pollution, radiation, and chemicals. They are also caused by bad diets high in fat and can even be caused by over exercising. These free radicals can over run your system and are now recognized to cause devastating health problems, such as heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis. They are a major concern in premature aging.
Ways to prevent free radical damage are:
- Increase your intake of antioxidants like Vitamin A and E
- Eat a diet high in colorful fruits and vegetables
- Reduce your use of chemicals in and around the home
- Source natural skin care products that contain anti oxidants
Using natural skin care products will significantly reduce the amount of chemical substances you absorb into your body that can cause premature aging. Some ‘every day chemicals such as synthetic emollients contained in some commercial products can be stored by the body in the liver and lymph nodes. Others such as Sodium Lauryl Sulphates can irritate the skin.
Ways to prevent absorbing chemicals through the skin are:
- Use only natural skin care products
- Scent the skin with essential oils or naturally scented creams
- Use only soaps made from plant oils and that contain herbal extracts, aromatherapy oil blends and clay’s.
- Shower daily to rid the skin of dust and grime
Exfoliation has been around for thousands of years as a natural way to remove dead skin cells from the surface of the body and prevent premature aging, revealing the fresh new skin cells beneath. There are many benefits to exfoliating the skin. Not only is new skin revealed but the circulation is stimulated enabling toxins to be dislodged and removed from the layers of the skin and the lymph nodes.
Ways to exfoliate are:
- Use a body scrub weekly in the shower
- Use a natural bristle skin brush to brush the dry skin before showering daily
- Use loofahs to remove dead cells when bathing
- Dry the skin with a scratchy towel to stimulate your circulation
Dehydration is yet another factor in premature aging. Many people simply do not drink enough water to maintain a healthy system. Six to eight glasses of water a day is said to be what we should be drinking and that does not include soft drinks and coffee! They actually tax the system of moisture.
Ways to ensure you drink enough water are:
- Always carry a bottle of water with you and drink it!
- A good guide to calculating the right amount of water you should be drinking a day is to divide your weight by 8. This is the amount of 8 1/2 oz. (250 ml.) glasses of water you should drink per day to help prevent premature aging.